The Athens County Engineer’s Office will be closing County Road 97, Pearl Wood Road 1000 feet north of the Meigs County line in Alexander Township for 30 days, starting Tuesday, December 2nd. The road is being closed to repair a slip in the roadway. Please avoid this area.
The Coolville Water Department announces a 72 hour boil order for the entire Village of Coolville. The boil order will expire on Saturday, November 29th at 1:30 PM. Boil orders are put into place as a result of broken water lines or local flooding. When this happens, the drinking water may have been contaminated which can cause many illnesses.
Here are some tips to keep in mind, should you find yourself in this situation:
• Bring water to a full boil, and boil for three minutes prior to use.
• Use only boiled water for drinking, preparing food or baby formula.
• To improve the flat taste of boiled water, keep cold in refrigerator.
• Put a cup over your faucets as a reminder to not use tap water – not even to brush your teeth!
• Instead of boiling water, you can disinfect water by adding one teaspoon unscented chlorine laundry bleach for every five gallons of water. Let stand 30 minutes before using. • Be sure to use sanitized food grade containers for storing water.
• To disinfect water storage containers, pour a solution of one tablespoon of unscented chlorine bleach to a gallon of water into a container. Let the solution remain in the container for 10 minutes, then pour out the solution. Rinse with purified water.
• Boiled or disinfected water can be stored for six months.
• Dispose of ice cubes.
• When washing dishes, make sure to sterilize dishes with a final dip in water that has one teaspoon of unscented household bleach per gallon of water. Disposable tableware is an option during a boil order.
• It is also recommend you sanitize hands when washing. Again use one teaspoon of unscented household bleach per gallon of water and rinse hand frequently by pouring rinse over the hands. Use paper towels to dry.
• Water for bathing doesn’t need to be boiled. Supervise children to avoid water being ingested.
The holiday shopping season is already well underway and Black Friday is this Friday, 11/28. We would like to remind you to keep these basic safety tips in mind this coming weekend and throughout the holiday season.
- Keep gifts and other items of value out of sight in your vehicle.
- Make sure your vehicle is locked and take your keys with you.
- Don’t leave wallets, purses, cash, or credit cards in your vehicle.
- If you start your shopping late at night, or early in the morning, it is always good to go with a friend or relative.
Every year there are parked vehicles illegally entered during the holidays, sometimes with a large loss of gifts and other valuables. Opportunists wander the parking areas looking for tempting targets. Please don’t give them any reason to notice your vehicle. Law Enforcement will be patrolling shopping areas, but don’t give thieves a reason to look at your vehicle. We hope you have a safe and fun shopping adventure.
Athens Co RD 17, Fisher Rd Reopened to Traffic, Please Drive Safely!
The Richland Area Volunteer Fire Department is on the scene of electrical lines down on County Road 17, Fisher Road. Due to extensive repairs need to the electrical line, the roadway will be closed until further notice. The roadway is closed between Hebbardsville Road, County Road 17A and Ladd Ridge Road, County Road 78. Emergency crews will reopen the roadway once the area is safe for travelers. Please avoid the area!
WIND ADVISORY IN EFFECT FOR ATHENS COUNTY MONDAY, 11/24 FROM 11AM TO 8PM.
WINDS – SOUTHWEST 15 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 50 MPH.
TIMING – LATE MORNING INTO THE EVENING.
IMPACTS – TREE LIMBS AND BRANCHES MAY BREAK, WHICH COULD FALL ON ROADWAYS OR CAUSE POWER DISRUPTIONS.
PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS: A WIND ADVISORY MEANS THAT WINDS OF 35 MPH OR GUSTS ABOVE 46 MPH ARE EXPECTED. WINDS THIS STRONG CAN MAKE DRIVING DIFFICULT, ESPECIALLY FOR HIGH PROFILE VEHICLES. USE EXTRA CAUTION. TARPS, GARBAGE CANS, HOLIDAY DECORATIONS AND OTHER LIGHT WEIGHT OBJECTS MAY BLOW AWAY. IT IS BEST TO TIGHTLY SECURE THESE ITEMS OR BRING THEM INSIDE. CONSTRUCTIONS SITES ARE ALSO VULNERABLE LOCATIONS.
Athens County has canceled the snow emergency. Road crews are still active. Please continue to use caution and watch for icy conditions on remote sections of roads. Drive carefully!
US Route 33 has also been re-opened.
Please Stay home unless you must travel. Roadways are Icy and Dangerous! Crews are working on the roads but it will take time. Stay home where you are safe and warm, instead of in a ditch alongside a road.
US RTE 33 West of Nelsonville toward Logan is CLOSED due to icy and dangerous conditions until further notice!!!
Athens County is now under a level 2 snow emergency due to icy road conditions until further notice. Roadways are hazardous and very icy. Only those who feel it is necessary to drive should be out on the roads. Contact your employer to see if you should report to work. Motorists should use extreme caution.