The following incident has been listed by Athens County Crime Solvers Anonymous as the December 2018 Crime of the Month.
The Athens Police Department is requesting your information pertaining to crimes which occurred in the City.
- On September 12, 2018, near 7:00 PM, an individual had parked his truck and trailer, which had grass cutting equipment on it, in the parking lot at Wal-mart, located at 929 E. State St. A short time after the vehicle was parked, a white Ford F-150 pulls alongside the truck and trailer. The subjects stole a backpack blower and a trimmer. Please see the attached photographs. The board is offering a $1000 reward for information on this crime.
- On September 18, 2018, between 7:00 AM and 1:00 PM, unknown person(s) stole several sections of metal grate that was covering a drain at Ohio Health O’Bleness Hospital. This particular drain is located at the rear of the hospital. The board is offering a $500 reward for information on this crime.
- On October 10, 2018, the Athens Police Department responded to the Dairy Lane Park for a reported arson. An individual(s) had positioned a large trash can and wooden windmill from the putt-putt golf course on the baseball field and set them ablaze. The board is offering a $500 reward for information on this crime.
- Between October 11, 2018 at 5:30 PM and October 12 at 7:00 AM, unknown person(s) forcibly entered the Ali Baba food trailer while it was parked on Columbus Rd. Upon gaining access to the interior of the trailer, the individual(s) stole the cash register and safe. The board is offering a $1000 reward for information on this crime.
Athens County Crime Solvers Anonymous is offering a cash reward for information on the above crime if that information leads to the arrest and indictment of the person or persons responsible. *Information on serious misdemeanors will be limited up to a $1000.00 cash reward. **Any information that leads to the arrest of an individual responsible for graffiti, the board can authorize up to a $500.00 cash reward. If you have information on these crimes, please call (740) 594 – 3331. You may also visit our website at http://www.crimesolversofathens.org or on Facebook. Remember! Crime Solvers Anonymous needs your information and not your name so that your information can be passed onto the proper authorities. Help us to help Athens County become a safer place.
The Athens County Engineer’s Office will be closing the Kidwell Bridge on Athens County Road 93, Monserat Ridge Road at Dover Township Road 332, Truetown Road in Dover Township on Monday, 11/19/2018 and Tuesday, 11/20/2018 from 8:00AM until 3:00PM, weather permitting. The bridge is being closed for a bridge repair project. Please avoid this area.
The Athens County Engineer’s Office has delayed closing Athens County Road 87, Antle Orchard Road 1,000 feet from the intersection of Athens County Road 31, Oakdale Road in Trimble Township. The roadway will be closed from 8:00AM until 3:00PM on Monday, 11/19/2018. The roadway is being closed for a tree removal project. Please avoid this area.
November 15, 2018 – 2:15PM
High water has been reported on the following Athens County roads and State routes by the Athens County Engineer’s Office and the Ohio Department of Transportation;
- CR 10 – Baker Rd, SR681 to Factory Road, CLOSED
- CR 10 – Baker Rd, Marion Johnson Road and Brown Road, CLOSED
- CR 17 – Fisher Rd, Intersection of McGrath Road, CLOSED
- CR 27 – Jacksonville Rd, Chapman Road to Wemer Road, CLOSED
- CR 34 – Dutch Creek Rd, SR690 to Pete Smith Road, CLOSED
- CR 42 – Fossil Rock Rd, Jeffers Road to Ruth Road, CLOSED
- CR 42 – Mill School Rd, Intersection of Rodehaver Road, CLOSED
- CR 100 – Rhoric Rd, Salem Road to Stone Road, CLOSED
- SR 56 – Between Vinton Co. line and Athens corporation limit, CLOSED
- SR 356 – SR681 to SR56, CLOSED
- SR 377 – SR550 to Morgan County line, RESTRICTED
- SR 681 – SR356 to US 50, CLOSED
Do not drive into high water, TURN AROUND, DON’T DROWN!! Please avoid these areas.
The Athens County Engineer’s Office will close Athens County Road 87, Antle Orchard Road 1,000 feet from the intersection of Athens County Road 31, Oakdale Road in Trimble Township on Friday, 11/16/2018 from 8:00AM until 3:00PM, weather permitting. The roadway is being closed for a tree removal project. Please avoid this area.
WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FOR ATHENS COUNTY FROM 12AM TO 11AM, THURSDAY, 11/15/18.
- WHAT – Mixed precipitation expected. Total snow and sleet accumulations of up to one inch and ice accumulations of up to one tenth of an inch expected.
- WHERE – Portions of southeast Ohio and central and northern West Virginia.
- WHEN – From 12AM to 11AM, Thursday, 11/15/18.
- ADDITIONAL DETAILS – Plan on slippery road conditions. The hazardous conditions could impact the morning commute.
PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS; A Winter Weather Advisory means that periods of snow, sleet or freezing rain will cause travel difficulties. Expect slippery roads and limited visibilities and use caution while driving.
The City of Nelsonville Water Department has canceled the boil order for State Route 691 from 15480 State Route 691 to Kimberly Road, Kimberly Road from State Route 691 to14455 Kimberly Road. We would like to thank those affected by this incident for their patience and understanding.
The City of Nelsonville Water Department has issued a boil order until further notice for State Route 691 from 15480 State Route 691 to Kimberly Road, Kimberly Road from State Route 691 to14455 Kimberly Road.
Boil orders are put into place as a result of broken water lines or local flooding. When this happens, the drinking water may have been contaminated which can cause many illnesses.
Here are some tips to keep in mind, should you find yourself in this situation:
• Bring water to a full boil, and boil for three minutes prior to use.
• Use only boiled water for drinking, preparing food or baby formula.
• To improve the flat taste of boiled water, keep cold in refrigerator.
• Put a cup over your faucets as a reminder to not use tap water – not even to brush your teeth!
• Instead of boiling water, you can disinfect water by adding one teaspoon unscented chlorine laundry bleach for every five gallons of water. Let stand 30 minutes before using.
• Be sure to use sanitized food grade containers for storing water.
• To disinfect water storage containers, pour a solution of one tablespoon of unscented chlorine bleach to a gallon of water into a container. Let the solution remain in the container for 10 minutes, then pour out the solution. Rinse with purified water.
• Boiled or disinfected water can be stored for six months.
• Dispose of ice cubes.
• When washing dishes, make sure to sterilize dishes with a final dip in water that has one teaspoon of unscented household bleach per gallon of water. Disposable tableware is an option during a boil order.
• It is also recommended you sanitize hands when washing. Again, use one teaspoon of unscented household bleach per gallon of water and rinse hand frequently by pouring rinse over the hands. Use paper towels to dry.
• Water for bathing doesn’t need to be boiled. Supervise children to avoid water being ingested.
The Athens County Engineer’s Office will close Athens County Road 69, Chase Road between Athens County Road 82, Cherry Ridge Road and Alexander Township Road 416, Chase Run Road, at 8:00AM, Tuesday, 11/6/2018 until 3:30PM, Wednesday, 11/7/2018, weather permitting. The roadway is being closed for a culvert replacement project. Please avoid this area.
The Athens County Engineer’s Office will close Athens County Road 34, Mush Run Road between Canaan Township Road 221, Joyce Road and State Route 690, at 8:00AM, Monday, 11/5/2018, for approximately 1 week, weather permitting. The roadway is being closed for a culvert replacement project. Please avoid this area.