Using Any Grill
- Use only outdoors! Any grill poses both a fire hazard and a risk of exposing occupants to carbon monoxide if used indoors.
- Never leave a cooking fire unattended.
- Place any grill at least 10 feet away combustible structure like your home or garage.
- Don’t use or store any open flame cooking device on a porch or balcony. Especially apartments that house more than 2 families. It is against Ohio Fire Code section 308.3.1.
- Keep children and pets away from the grill area. Have a 3-foot “kid-free zone” around the grill.
- Use long-handled grilling tools to give the master chef plenty of clearance from heat and flames when cooking.
- Remove grease or fat buildup in trays below grill after each use.
Using Charcoal Grills
- Purchase the proper starter fluid and store out of reach of children. Never use any flammable liquid other than charcoal starter fluid to get the fire going.
- Dispose of charcoal coals only after they are cool. Empty the coals into a metal container with a tight-fitting lid. Place the container away from anything that can burn. Never empty coals directly into a trash can.
Using Propane Grills
- Check for leaks before using it for the first time each year. A light soap and water solution applied to the hose area will reveal escaping propane quickly by releasing bubbles.
- Light a propane grill only with the cover open.
- If you smell gas while cooking, immediately get away from the grill and call the fire department. Do not attempt to move the grill.
- NOTE: All propane cylinders manufactured after April 2002 must have overfill protection devices (OPD). OPDs shut off the flow of propane before capacity is reached, limiting the potential for release of propane gas if the cylinder heats up. OPDs are easily identified by their triangular-shaped hand wheel.
Enjoy your summer and always be Fire Safe and Fire Smart