Ohio Revised Code 1503.18: Ohio DNR Forestry prohibits outdoor open burning and prescribed fires in the months of March, April & May between 6am and 6pm. This ban includes burning of yard waste, trash, and debris, even in a proper burn barrel.
NEVER to be burned at any time or any place in Ohio:
- Food waste
- Dead animals
- Materials containing rubber, grease, asphalt, or made from petroleum
- Fires must be more than 1000 feet from neighbor’s inhabited building
- No burning when air pollution alert, warning, or emergency is in effect
- Fire/smoke cannot obscure visibility on roadway, railways, or airfields
- No waste generated off the premises may be burned
- No burning within village or city limits or restricted areas
Contact Ohio EPA: (614) 644-2270 or Ohio EPA Open Burning or fire department before starting a fire.