The Buchtel Water and Sewer Department announces that crews are making repairs to a water line break. Buchtel customers in the following areas will experience a water outage until the line is repaired. North and South Oakley, Duncan and State Route 78 from Marietta Avenue to the County line and State Route 685. A boil order will be in effect until further notice for these areas.
Boil orders are put into place as a result of broken water lines or local flooding. When this happens, the drinking water may have been contaminated which can cause many illnesses.
Here are some tips to keep in mind, should you find yourself in this situation:
• Bring water to a full boil, and boil for three minutes prior to use.
• Use only boiled water for drinking, preparing food or baby formula.
• To improve the flat taste of boiled water, keep cold in refrigerator.
• Put a cup over your faucets as a reminder to not use tap water – not even to brush your teeth!
• Instead of boiling water, you can disinfect water by adding one teaspoon unscented chlorine laundry bleach for every five gallons of water. Let stand 30 minutes before using.
• Be sure to use sanitized food grade containers for storing water.
• To disinfect water storage containers, pour a solution of one tablespoon of unscented chlorine bleach to a gallon of water into a container. Let the solution remain in the container for 10 minutes, then pour out the solution. Rinse with purified water.
• Boiled or disinfected water can be stored for six months.
• Dispose of ice cubes.
• When washing dishes, make sure to sterilize dishes with a final dip in water that has one teaspoon of unscented household bleach per gallon of water. Disposable tableware is an option during a boil order.
• It is also recommended you sanitize hands when washing. Again, use one teaspoon of unscented household bleach per gallon of water and rinse hand frequently by pouring rinse over the hands. Use paper towels to dry.
• Water for bathing doesn’t need to be boiled. Supervise children to avoid water being ingested.